Sunday, April 29, 2018

Skirting fleeces

 I have been skirting fleeces off and on as time permits since we have
shorn the sheep.  A couple of weeks ago we had warmer weather and
roo-ed a few.  The grey fleece shown today is one of those.
This is a grey lamb fleece, very fine and very clean.
This is one of fifteen that I have selected to take to the 
 Each fleece I skirt I check to make sure that it is a healthy fleece. 
Taking a lock of wool from the side and tugging on it to check it's strength.  
I am still amazed at the lock length and fineness.
Above shows a relaxed lock length of 4 inches.
 Stretching out the staple length show it at just over 6 inches.
What elasticity!!
With lots of grey color variation.  Most enjoyed with processing 
it yourself, getting to separate the colors to see the variation
in your yarn.  ...or having a woolen mill process it, 
(one that can handle processing fine wool)
blending all the various coloration to make one color of grey.

I don't see having time to show you here all the fleeces 
that I will be taking to the show to sell but....

What will I have available at the 
Great Lakes Fiber Show??

1 - Black 
1 - Mioget
2 - White
3 - Fawn
4 - Musket 
4 - Grey

I have already sent out much wool to be made into combed top.
I plan to have some beautiful fawn top 
and white top available for sale
 in the Guild (Algonquin Spinners & Weavers) booth at
the Great Lakes Fiber Shows,
located next to the Information booth.

Hope to see you there!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Great photographic example of the elasticity of fine, crimpy Shetland!

    ReplyDelete