Tuesday, April 3, 2018

#131 crossbred ewe & #130 Indi

Monday evening (4/2) I strolled out to the barn, one last look  to 
see what was going on before I went to bed and my other crossbred
ewe (shetland / cormo) had delivered one lamb.  I moved her into 
a waiting pen then waited a short while as the second lamb was about
to be born.  She gave us some nice twins, a ewe and ram.
She was bred to the Border Cheviot ram.  
(so we did get at least one ram lamb out of  my crossbred 
girls....hopefully he will have a future as a breeding ram 
from an inquiry last year)
 #130 Indi a first time mom gave birth to twins, a ram and ewe.
I bred her to the Border Cheviot ram and she did quite well
delivering these two all by herself.
I went out this morning and she had already had them.  I just had to 
move her into a jug so they could get some bonding time.
I had to add this photo...for a couple of reasons.

1. The ewe, who's nose you can see in the gate behind the lamb has 
been trying to steal this lamb all day.  Causing confusion for this little lamb.
Mom wants her, but the "other mom" keeps talking to her and convincing her
to try and escape away with her. (which caused me to move the intruder
into a pen across the barn away from this momma and baby so they
can have some bonding time)
2)   My English Shepherd, Red.  Way back in the center of the photo 
at the other side of the barn.  He just loves the babies and doesn't miss a
trip out to the barn to see what is going on.  He is at full attention
when it comes to babies.

We will see what comes tonight, both with lambs and weather,
six inches of snow yesterday morning, 60 degrees today with rain
 and serious storms rolling in tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment