Sunday, April 8, 2018

#15 Eve (again!) and #175 gulmoget ewe

I've been doing this for a few years now, about eleven and sometimes
when you get so busy you tend to "forget" things and sometimes think
that you are losing your mind.  Writing yourself notes or in this case
recording and tagging and taking pictures helps to keep yourself straight.

This ewe Eve gave birth 4/4/17 (i have pictures to prove it).
Unfortunately, the next evening she lost her lamb due to soffocation,
in this case the lamb had wedged itself into a downward sloped corner
of the pen face first and I'm sure that if it even tried to get up it just
pushed itself further downward eventually not being able to breathe.

The next day I moved Eve out of the lambing jug, back with the main
flock.    
Upon going out to check on everyone last evening 4/7/17  I seen 
a new lamb laying stretched out and a second one with a ewe.
Going into the pen to see who had delivered I see Eve caring for a 
new born lamb and another lamb that lay lifeless next to her.

I begin to search and look over all the other ewes that might have 
delivered these lambs....no one.
I go back and look over Eve again and yes Eve did deliver these lambs!
By appearances I can only figure that this third little lamb that 
survived was not in the same birth sack as the previous two lambs.
Eve was bred to the Border Cheviot ram.
 The above ewe, #175 with the gulmoget pattern delivered this 
single ram lambs this morning 4/8/17.
This was not part of our planned breeding.  This ewe squeezed into
one of the pens I had a breeding group in.
The ram is Bian1107.
#175 is just over one year old and is proving to be a very good
attentive mother.  I haven't named this ewe yet or even registered
her, because I wasn't sure if I was going to keep or sell her.
So there is a possibility that she will be available this summer.

So to go along with my first paragraph of this post, about 
keeping things straight.  In a previous post I had mentioned
a number of yet expectant ewes.  Well it is best to 
keep track and reference your written list rather than
try and take a count out in the barnyard...because you always miss someone.

So...as of now I have four ewes yet to give birth. Before I 
consider this lambing season over.

But...I did put a few ewes in with rams in January, February and March
I don't know that any of them did breed or get bred but we will 
have to just watch and find out.  If so we could be expecting 
lambs in June, July and possibly August.  We will 
just have to wait and see...

No comments:

Post a Comment