Friday, March 20, 2020

#125 Paula, #132 Xbred, #104, #1811 & #1546

So part of this post is a continuation from last evenings
ewes that delivered after 10pm.
#125 Paula was bred to Gordon.
She delivered this nice sized single ram lamb.
He is a spotted katmoget, it will be interesting to see
if his spots stay and don't fade away.
Gordon is a spotted ram so there is a chance.
 #132 one of my cormo/shetland ewes delivered a
single ram lamb.

The following ewes delivered their lambs today.
I left work early today, I had an appointment this afternoon,
but with all the Covid-19 recommendations that 
businesses close my appointment was canceled.
So I still left early to just go home and catch up on my
sheep duties, preparing for more lambs.

 Above, "guest"(Dave's) ewe #104 was bred to Bian.
She had delivered this single black ram this morning.

 #1811 (guest ewe - Dave's) delivered this single ewe lamb this 
afternoon.  She was bred to the Border Cheviot/Shetland ram.
 #1546 (guest ewe -Dave's) was in labor when I came home.
I assisted her with her delivery, she was so big.
She was bred to Gordon and delivered two ram lambs.
The ram in the above picture is moorit and white.
The below picture is black and white.

Just an interesting bit of info. I'd like to share with other 
Shetland breeders that have registered animals.
Last year while registering some of my sheep.
The registry had called me because I had written down
the color of sheep as moorit and white.
The young lady I spoke with said that the registry didn't 
recognize moorit and white in the color description for registering.
I asked what I was to do?
She said to go with whatever color the sheep has more of.

So in this instance with these two lambs.
The black and white ram can be registered as black and white.....because that is recognized by the registery, BUT the moorit and white ram cannot be registered as moorit and white.
So I guess he would need to be registered as white, since he has more white than black.
...does this make any sense???  Not to me.

Come on NASSA (North American Shetland Sheep Association)
it's time to review this information!
That is for today.
Although I believe we may have more lambs possibly this evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment