Saturday, June 2, 2012

Great Lakes Fiber Show Results

It has been a week since the Great Lakes Fiber Show.  We had some really warm weather, but it wasn't bad in the buildings with the breeze.  This year I had entered two fleeces and two skeins of yarn.  My good friend Dave Lewis beat me out in the fine fleece division, I have a Whistle Stop ram with a beautiful black fleece, but I do not have coats for my sheep so every little piece of VM shows up in the beautiful black fleece.  Although it will all come out between the washing and carding.
My dairy rams fleece is a medium fleece, 36 micron, although it is 6.2 SD, 16.8 CV, 10.8 CEM.  This fleece received 4th place in this class.  Will be washing this fleece soon, want to dye it at the next guild meeting (June meeting is dye day).

I entered two skeins, I took 2nd place....again in the fine two ply class.  I chose my Whistle Stop ewe's fleece for this skein, her Comfort Factor is 90.2.  I didn't get to watch the judging as I was helping with the fleece competition, but was told the judge kept commenting on the elasticity in the skein, wish I had taken a picture, my skein was at least 5 inches shorter than the other skeins, but when held in your thumbs, it would stretch out.......I think it was that wonderful fine crimpy fleece that I have kept out for myself to spin!

The other skein I entered took 4th place, I spun a fine 3ply yarn, prior to the show this skein had already been labeled as the "skein from hell", of course I was last minute spinning to enter both of these skeins, but while spinning this one it broke and I couldn't find the end to reattach the yarn and continue spinning, I ended up cutting the yarn, putting it on two ball winders as it ended up being cut in half, respinning it to put it back on a spool, then splicing the yarn to reattached where I had cut it.  I needed all the yarn I had spun, since I had pre-weighed the wool and needed every little bit I had to meet the weight requirements for the competition. 

I did get to meet Garrett Ramsey at the show and of course we spoke shetland. 
http://www.ramsayfarms.blogspot.com/
It is nice to get to meet other shetland breeders :)

I came sooo close to coming home with another sheep!  How close??  We went over to the sheep barn at 2:30 on the final day to say we would take him and they had left at 2:00 to head back to Oregon:(
It was a nice blue faced leiceister (sp?) ram.

These pictures were favorites at the show, everyone wanted to know how I got them to line up :)





That's all for now.

1 comment:

  1. I was thinking that it would be a great winter sweater to make out of all the colors of the "lined" up sheep. Those colors would all be so pretty in one sweater.
    Not the picture of the lined up "butts".
    Have a great day,
    Alma

    ReplyDelete