Tuesday, March 12, 2019

Shearing, sheared, shorn and spots too!


Waiting for your shearing day is like waiting for
Christmas morning  when you were a kid.  
Yep, that's how I would describe it.
Out to the barn early to get everyone squeezed together in a pen 
to wait on their turn to be sheared.  The ewes get to wait on the rams.  
We shear our rams first so we can put them back into their pen in a
much smaller space. For their safety...it seems that the rams
always have to reestablish their pecking order and want to push 
each other around.  Having lost a ram once to this we find 
this to be a safest way to handle them.
This morning I let them out and everyone is getting along well.
Our shearer, Sardis did a wonderful job shearing all our sheep.
He sheared 56 sheep in 7 hours, bless him.
This is a young man's game.
 The girls were famished!  
They were fed the morning prior to shearing.
So they didn't have full bellies making it more difficult or stressing
on them while they are being shorn.
They all loved getting their fleeces off! 
As soon as they were turned loose from being sheared they were 
immediately looking find a gate to rub on.
I was so exited when this yearling (in the middle) was shorn.
She was wildly spotted when she was born and like the others
that I've had with spots I figured they would fad away.
When I pulled her coat off and parted her fleece I was sooo happy.
She has kept her spots!!
I look forward to getting to pair her up with  potential suitors
since we now have a couple of rams that do have spots
(I've save them for another post).

So a long, tiring and exciting day was had by all who attending our shearing.
Many fleeces were sold and many more have yet to be skirted, 
but that will take me a little longer as I also have to recover
from this long day, like I said "it's a young man's woman's game.



No comments:

Post a Comment