Wednesday, March 27, 2019

Dottie #20, Guiselle #128, #172 & Olivia #113

This morning was so busy in the barn I had to 
go into work an hour late.  
Above, Dottie, my friend Dave's ewe.
Dottie was bred to Gordon, the cape flecket ram.
and YES! We did get spots! (hope they stay)
Early this morning I didn't notice that the ewe lamb on 
left has moorit spots.  The ram lamb on the right has black spots.
 #128, Guiselle had spots also. Yes!
The bummer is that they are both ram lambs.
I just new that she would have spots, she has always delivered 
lambs with spots (yet she has not spots, except some bleset markings on her face)
 but they never stayed, always fading away.
Guiselle was bred to Gordon.

The lamb on the left has black spots, the right is moorit.
 Above, Ewe #172 a white shetland that I have not registered yet.
I haven't decided if I want to sell her or not.  She was bred to ram #191,
a shetland/border cheviot.  The lamb is a ram and he really 
looks like a hunk, those B.C. features came through on him.
This first time ewe made me crazy this morning.  When I came
into the barn she was laying with her lamb at her side.  He 
appeared to not have eaten anything yet.  I picked him up to move 
them into a pen and this ewe really didn't seem to care one way 
or the other.  She had paid no mind to this lamb at all.  She wasn't 
aggressive at all...she just didn't care, she didn't talk to him or lick him.
He was hungry, I had to halter her and tie her to a gate.  I helped 
him to find his dinner and she just didn't care, she patiently
stood still while he nursed. (she's the one that caused me to be 
late getting into work).  I had my friend Dave (yea Dave!)
stop by late morning and check on everyone.
By then she was being a good mom and had figured out that 
this was her little guy and she needed to care for him.  whew! 

#113 Olivia, my mioget.  I just love this ewe, she is soo sweet.
I did cross breed her this year to ram #191 the shetland/border cheviot.
I didn't want to disturb them, you can see they have bonded well 
and the little guy is catching some zzzz's.

Hopefully we will get a little break tomorrow morning.
We have 27 lambs on the ground and still have
10 or so ewes to deliver.


No comments:

Post a Comment