Monday, March 19, 2018

Lambing begins...

Once the fleeces are off it is much easier to watch the ewes develop
as they get closer to lambing.  We look at all of them everyday, 
sometimes a couple times a day to try and guess who will go first.
Sunday I penned a ewe thinking this is it.  She was off by herself, 
she had "dropped" was up and down and pawing at the ground.
She didn't even attempt to come and eat when I offered hay to all the girls.

I went out last night before I went to bed to check on her one last time
before morning.  Upon seeing no progress had developed I took a quick
look over all the other girls and just outside the barn was one ewe standing 
out there with this little guy, above in tow.  So I picked up this little guy
while holding him down low so mom could see him and I walked her right
into the barn and into another pen that I had ready.

So above picture is #70 Laurel, a beautiful black ewe who has delivered 
a single moorit ram lamb that will have horns.  He has that super small 
tightly curled fleece which is exciting.
Laurel was bred to my black ram, Bian1107.  I paired them up last 
breeding season because I got a beautiful black ewe lamb and was
hoping for a repeat of that.  Well this time it's a ram, but he is quite 
a looker.

We've had another one born today which I will post later and
Ohh...that ewe that I first spoke of....
We are still waiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment