Friday, March 30, 2018

#103 Olympia


Olympia delivered her first lambs last night.  I went out to check
on everyone before I went to bed (early...9pm).
She had delivered this little guy and I had moved her into a pen
so she could deliver the next lamb that was emerging.
She progress quickly once in the pen and I assisted with the 
second lamb, but the little ewe lamb was life less upon being born.
I worked on her to clear her airway and gave her a brisk rubbing
but there was no life or breath in her little body .
Olympia was persistent in caring for her and talking to her
but she was already gone.
Had I not gone out I would have wondered what had happened,
although I was there I still don't know what happened, but I do 
know that nothing could have been done.  It was just one of those 
things that we have to deal with and move on.
Even after a while when Olympia wasn't getting a response from 
the deceased lamb she put her attention back onto the 
active lamb that was talking to her.
It is amazing how animals just know and move on.

Here is a short clip of the lambs born a few days ago
and how they think they are the big stuff because they
figured out how to get out of their pen.
Right now I call them, Mr. Fancy Pants &
Li'l Miss Big Britches!
Another short video of the oldest lambs.
I've rearranged the gates and set up a creep feed gate
so they can get used to going in and out of it and 
will eventually find their lamb pellets in the pan.

We've had a little down time while lambing,
hopefully we will have more this weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment