Sunday, March 14, 2021

lambs, Lambs & more LAMBS...

 I fully intended to post lamb pictures are they were born, as I have in the past.  This year things just got out of hand.

This past week has been a whirlwind of having lambs.  I don't think we have ever had so many deliver so closely together.  So are we have had Twenty-One ewes deliver Twenty-Eight lambs.

It's nice that our lambs will all be born within approximate three week period, so they'll all be close in age, but it is very tiring. and I just didn't get pics. of all of them so I'm going to share some photos.

Above my Cormo/Shetland ewe delivered this single ewe lamb on 3/8
I noticed the lambs right front leg was bent at the first joint.
Something like this usually happens when their is not enough room
for the lamb to move in the womb and the tendons are weak.
I ended up taking the lamb into the house and bandaging her leg
to give more support until she is able to walk.  Then returning
her to the barn with her mom and offering a bottle.

My friend offered to come out and feed the lamb a bottle at Noon the following day.
I had explained to him that there were two ewes with two lambs in the pen
and that this white lamb needed a bottle offered.

When he arrived, he called me because he was confused, there were two ewes
with four lambs!
I was shocked...this ewe has only ever had a single lamb.

This ewe was bred to my Border Cheviot/Shetland ram.

Another shetland ewe crossbred with the Border Cheviot/Shetland ram.

And another, this little ram lamb weighed 7lbs. 10oz.

         
Above a purebred shetland lamb.
    A group of lambs snoozing this morning.

Another purebred shetland lamb above.

Above, purebred spotted shetland lamb.

Purebred shetland ewe lamb above.

Above, I cross bred my mioget shetland ewe this year.
This moorit: Shetland X Border Cheviot/Shetland ewe lamb
is beautiful.


Another crossbred ram lamb.

Purebred Shetland ram lamb.  We have had three purebred shetland 
lambs with this spotting pattern this year.
Very excited about this.  We have been working on this for several years.

His other side.

I worked in the barn all day today, so much to catch up with.
I release ewes with new lambs from pens after three days of bonding.

The oldest lambs are over a week old and I needed to get a creep feed pen set up
so they can start eating pellets.


Cute katmoget ewe lamb above.
Another one of those spotted babies.
The white on these spotted lambs is bright white too.

another purebred shetland ewe lamb above.

Play time!  Nothing like a pregnant ewe getting jumped on by 
a lamb.


So, in a very short time we have had alot of lambs born and have
TWENTY-SIX! Yet to deliver.

I will try better to get photos up.

We still have many beautiful raw fleeces available is anyone is looking for spinning fleeces.
All the sheep were coated and the fleeces are very clean.
Email if interested.



No comments:

Post a Comment