Thursday, May 23, 2019

Preparing for Great Lakes Fiber Show

I look forward to the  Great Lakes Fiber Show every year, but this year I've 
taken a few days of vacation from my day job (it's a vacation ...right?) 
in order to get all of my fiber ready.
I've skirted all my fleeces, about fifty, over a period of time and this is what I have;

 In the large bag on the left I have 19lbs 8oz. of black and grey fleeces
that will get made into Combed Top at Zeilinger Wool Co.

Then next bag contains almost 13lbs. of white wool, the other 
bag 13lbs. of fawn wool.  These two bags will be sent to 

Both of these fiber processors will be at the Great Lakes Fiber Show,
along with other fiber processors and vendors
listed on the GLFS site under the "vendor" tab.


This is the best local fiber event!! Make time to stop in 
and check out all the vendors and workshops being offered.

 I am also entering five fleeces in the fleece sale, this is less than I 
have previously entered but I was really slow about getting my 
coats on the sheep and the fleeces weren't as clean as I would have 
liked them to be, hence I'm sending them out to have roving and top made.
 Above a beautiful fawn fleece, provided by Mateo, on of my rams.
 An absolutely gorgeous black fleece, provided by a ewe lamb, not yet named.
 A lovely very light fawn fleece that is very fine.
 This is a South Australian Merino fleece that has been brought 
in from Montana, Steitzhof Merino.

 And last, a beautiful grey shetland fleece, provided by one of my ewes, Sunniva.

 While I was outside I snapped a few photos; the rams just chilling.
 I stepped out to the barn, which just caused a mass exit.
It rained a little earlier and now is a bit humid.  It's actually cooler 
in the barn.
Our weather has been less than ideal to get our first cutting hay made.
More rain is expected this next week, so we just watch the fields 
going to seed, getting older and just know that we will have a less 
than good first cutting of hay.  I was very thankful that we were
able to get a few square bales of hay from our neighbor.
I fed one bale this morning.  When I went out at noon they had 
eaten every last piece of hay from the feeder...I'd say they liked it better
than the crappy stuff I have to feed them right now.
So of course I had to give them another square bale.

So enjoy your holiday weekend, get out and check out the fiber show
 

No comments:

Post a Comment