Sunday, April 3, 2016

Ewe #45

This is my other crossbred ewe.  She was bred to Axel, a shetland ram, hoping for a ram lamb to use in future crossbreeding with my shetlands. ...well we didn't get one.
This ewe was due Friday, 4/1/16.  She really showed no signs of labor, just very ready 
with swollen udder and tail raised.  Saturday evening I thought I would take a
look and check her though she appeared ready to deliver she was not dilated.
That evening my thoughts were that she wouldn't dilate and we would be looking a 
a C-section, knowing those odds are not good I was really hoping that she would 
deliver overnight.
This morning I went out the check and she was in her chosen place standing with tail raised and a broken waterbag and head low.  I just knew things weren't right.  Grabbing a halter I went in to see what I would find by checking her.  I immediately found two front legs.....no head.
I've had some experience assisting the ewes in my years of lambing, but there is always something new that trips you up.  I pushed those feet back in and was trying to find it's head, reaching down low I did find a head, but was thinking it was the head of a second lamb and didn't want to pull on it and have the legs of one lamb and the head of another.
Without further thought I made the call to my vet.  I figured she would be here, reach in and
 "poof" pop out a lamb, that I had been searching for and couldn't find.
When all was said and done, my vet, Tricia Pugh of Red Star Veterinary Clinic 
had gotten this really large ewe lamb out which was deceased.
I really appreciate my vet, she is so sharing with her knowledge and always willing to help you understand your situation.  So that next time you may be better able to help yourself in another situation.....by no means is this reason to not call your veterinarian when you need help.  
Tricia explained to me that this was a "tricky one"  the front feet that were presented for delivery did belong to the head that was below the lamb.  The head was wrapped around the side of the leg, then back up between the legs, jaw upwards.....this ewe would have never delivered this lamb.
So to wrap up this story, the ewe is doing fine, the above pic. was taking later in the day.  
She is calling and looking for the baby that she doesn't have.  She has provided me with a stockpile of colostrum milk which I have frozen for any other emergencies I or others may need and I'm sure she will adjust to the circumstances.  Animals are amazing in this way....much better than people.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment